Tuesday 24 February 2015

Man Up



Men's wellbeing writer, Clive Smith reveals the mystery of what happens at a male spa day at the Champneys, Henlow Grange.

Traditionally, most think of a spa break as the perfect day out for a mother and daughter, a group of female friends or even a relaxing hen party, but increasingly, spas offer fantastic packages for men. 

So, I decided to try one of these packages out at Champneys, which I’m told is one of the best in the business. It has four locations: Tring, Forest Mere, Henlow Grange and Springs. I opted for the venue nearest me, which is Henlow Grange. I’ve never had any spa treatments before, so it was with some trepidation that I booked in.

Henlow Grange is a true country retreat with wonderful health, beauty and wellbeing facilities, set in the heart of Bedfordshire. It also has a comprehensive range of treatments for men. 

The package I’d bravely opted for was the Champneys Men’s Grooming Experience, which seemed to include the works! The paperwork informed me that I would have a mini back massage, facial cleansing and steam towel, skin buff, hot stone tension relief neck and shoulder massage, ice-cold stone eye massage, eyebrow trim and tidy. In addition, I could choose to indulge in either hand and foot grooming or deluxe back massage and scalp massage. This package costs £85.00 and lasts for 85 minutes. 

I have to say that I was skeptical, as I’ve never had anything more than a haircut before, and I wondered if paying £1 for every minute of treatment would actually be worth it. Well, I was promised to be left feeling polished, buffed, relaxed and for any stress to have ebbed away, so I was happy to give it a try.

Georgian manor house

I live in the beautiful Essex countryside and it only took about an hour to get to the spa. After driving through rows of houses, I was so impressed when I turned the corner into the drive, to be greeted by the opulent Georgian manor house, with hand-painted walls and Venetian-style mirrors.

Originally the site of a Cistercian monastery, this secluded spot is clearly the perfect place to enjoy a refreshing country escape, with the added luxury of space and peace. And I certainly got lots of this! My room was on the ground floor and had the most fantastic view of the river and the weir, which was built by the monks. My room had double doors opening onto a little private patio, with tables and comfy chairs to kick back and relax in the sun in. 

I had weird weather during my stay, a mix of torrential rain and warm sun, but this still left me with plenty of opportunities to sit outside in between treatments and relax to the sound of the water rushing over the weir. It also gave me time to explore some the 150 acres of parkland that the spa is housed in. 

Treatment time

I have to confess, I was a bit nervous before my first treatment, not knowing what to expect, as I waited in the treatment area until my name was called. A very friendly therapist assured me that I was going to enjoy the experience. 

So the 85 minutes of pampering heaven began. The mini back massage was wonderful for my tired shoulders and I could physically feel the stress and tension draining from me as I began to really relax – something I can’t remember doing properly for a long time. 

The facial cleansing, steam towel and skin buff were more new experiences for me. I don’t usually take much notice of my face, apart from slapping on the odd handful of moisturiser when my skin’s really dry, but it did feel like a super-nourishing treat. I’m not exactly sure what it was doing for my skin, but it helped me relax even further and left my face feeling fresh and soft.  

I was intrigued about the hot stone tension relief neck and shoulder massage and ice-cold stone eye massage, as I couldn’t quite imagine what it entailed, but it was an amazing blend of warm and cool therapy, which I thoroughly enjoyed. 

I then had an eyebrow trim and tidy, which I do usually get from my barber and finished the session with an amazing scalp massage. Again this was so relaxing and I found myself fighting to keep my eyes open!

I decided not to take part in any of the many fitness treatments available, as my primary reason for trying this out was to relax, but I did take a dip in the pool and I spent quite a long time in the Jacuzzi.

In the evening I enjoyed a delicious three-course meal, and although they don’t sell beer, they sell a great range of wine and Champagne by the glass. After a great night's sleep, I had a blow out and paid extra for a (healthy) cooked breakfast to set me up for the day. 

I had paid for an additional treatment the following day, which consisted of a half hour session in the state-of-the-art Thalassotherapy pool, which was yet another mystery to me. It turned out to be a fun and relaxing time in a mineral rich pool with a series of ever-increasingly strong jets to massage different parts of the body. 

The hydrotherapy jets stimulate and tone tired aching muscles, and I’m told, can be used for treating cellulite, arthritis and general muscular and joint aches and pains. The jets felt so nice on my hands and feet, as well as giving my shoulders a good pummelling. 


Spa convert

So, despite my initial apprehension, I thoroughly enjoyed my male grooming experience. It was much nicer than I’d expected it to be. I’m really impressed with the treatments available for men and to see how well set up spas are to cater for males, every bit as much as they do for women. 

Although I was reluctant at first – and kept thinking, ‘What are they going to do to me…?’ – when I came home, my wife said I looked 10 years younger and more relaxed than she’d seen me look for years. I’d definitely recommend a male grooming package at this pampering health retreat to anyone that’s feeling a bit hesitant. 

In addition to the therapies mentioned, this Champneys spa offers over 80 therapies, from the traditional to the exotic, including its signature treatments of the Paraffin Wax Bath, Physiotherm and Chinese Body Therapy.

So, whether you need pampering, detox, relaxation, activity, spiritual escape, extreme sport, indulgence or boot camp, Henlow Grange is the place for anyone that needs to get away from it all and I will definitely be booking another trip. And I might just take my wife next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment